STAY WITH US

Can you sleep during lockdown?


Can you sleep during lockdown?
I'm on one side of London Catherine is on the other hiCatherine hello Neil hello everyone so what story have you got for us todaywell we've got a sleep story today Neil have you been sleeping okay during thecoronavirus actually I've been sleeping very well I don't know what that saysabout me but yes I've been sleeping very well and you well it is interestingbecause a lot of people around the world haven't been sleeping very well duringthese times and that's what we're looking at todayokay well let's find out some more about that from this BBC Radio 1 news beatreport and more than half of the UK population is struggling to sleepproperly during lockdown according to a survey King's College London spoke tomore than 2,000 people two in five said they've had unusual dreams and lots ofyoung people said they were sleeping but not feeling rested a lot of people inthe UK are finding it difficult to sleep during the corona virus pandemic two infive people say they're experiencing weird dreams and a lot of young peopleare saying they don't feel very rested at the moment ok well that's not verynice for a lot of people let's have a look at some of the vocabulary you'vepicked out to help us discuss this story what have you gotwe have disrupted uneasy and insomnia disrupted uneasy and insomnia ok so yourfirst headline pleased with and disrupted so we're starting here in theUK with the independent the headline is half of British adults say their sleephas been disrupted in lockdown disrupted prevented from continuing yesdisrupted D is R u p t-- e d disrupted there are three syllables in this wordthe stress is on the roped the middle syllable Neil would you like todemonstrate disrupted there you go thank you so this wordstarts with a lovely prefix the letters D is dis I've found in front of a lot ofwords and the general meaning of the prefix dis is often bad or wrong so wealready know that there's something it's describing something difficult disruptedmeans disturbed to the extent that something can't continue somethinghappens which means that you can't continue or finish what you're doing inthe way you want to do it now near you're a father with children at home atthe moment aren't you yes yes they're their normal lives have really beendisrupted because of course they don't go to school yes so things are verydifferent for them and I know you're working from home as well in your homeoffice I am right here any disruptions yes disruption a noun there I do have afew disruptions I have to say a knock on the door and will you play football withme in the garden daddy that kind of thing so you've got disruptive kids theyare disruptive for the adjective yes yes so we've got the noun verb an adjectiveso it's disruption disrupt and disruptive to describe people or thingsthat disrupt is it the same as disturb it's a bit stronger than disturb I thinkif you disrupt something you really make it difficult to continue whereasdisturbed might be sort of temporary or something that kind of gets in the way alittle bit and we also use disturb to describe theway we think and feel so you could say that you could watch a disturbing filmfor example something that makes you feel uncomfortable and a bit upset youwouldn't say I watched a disruptive film last night okay let's get a summary ofthat please let's have a look then at our secondheadline yes now the sleep story isn't just confined to the UK here's aheadline from the United States from NPR and it reads like this how to get sleepin uneasy times uneasy worrying anxious yes uneasy you and II a sy uneasy nowCatherine I'm going to interrupt you here and I'm gonna give you my theoryokay because I know in this word I can see two parts one of them is easy I knowwhat easy means and at the beginning there's um which means not so I'm goingto say that uneasy is the opposite of easyit means difficult right well if only it were that simple Neal you're kind ofright to an extent but there are some major differences in the way we useuneasy it's true in this headline you could take out the word uneasy and putin difficult and say we are having difficult times that's true we arehowever uneasy is about a feeling you get when things aren't normal and youfeel scared you feel anxious you feel worried you feel fearful of the futureso when some things eat uneasy or it makes you feel uneasy it's really to dowith being worried okay so I couldn't say I once tried to learn Russian and Iwas uneasy no you shouldn't say that no no no okay no no if you're uneasyyou might feel uneasy if you have to perform something in Russian when you'donly be learning for a little while that might you feel like a very kind ofanxious and nervous but it's more to do with fear unease okay it's also an owlisn't it yes I just said it unease is a noun you can say I had a feeling ofunease when I heard a noise outside my bedroomwindow at 3 o'clock in the morning I hope it was nothing seriousit was the Foxes always ofcourse urban foxes terrible ok let's have a summary before we move on Catherine would liketo apologize to the foxes I really like foxes really do ok sometimes you have tosay things then you just to make it clear yes I do and Oh foxes they'reterrible it's terrible to be disturbed by a fox at 3:00 in the morning but thatdoesn't mean I don't like them ok before we have our final headline wehave plenty of other stories about sleeping one in particular we think youwill like yes if you don't know what to do when you can't get to sleep we havesome advice for you just click the link to go to in the description to gostraight to the program ok so our final headline now still in the United StatesThe Wall Street Journal how sleep has changed in the pandemicinsomnia late bedtimes weird dreams insomnia medical condition in whichsleeping is difficult yes I am s om and I a very interesting word it has an Mand an N next to each other which is quite unusual in English thepronunciation is insomnia insomnia yes syllabus I n those are in some knee ahand Neal would you like to demonstrate the stress for us pleaseinsomnia definitely the second syllable thank you very much insomnia and itstarts with a prefix this time in I n another prefix which means not so sumthe sum bit is relating to sleep the in bit means not so not sleep insome yeah okay so if I had a bad night'ssleep last night but you know normally I'm okay do I have insomnia well youmight say you've got insomnia Neil because you want attention and you'rebeing quite dramatic but insomnia is a kind of medical term a medical conditionwhich means that you know you can't sleep regularly and it's reallyinterfering with your life we all have the odd bad night but insomnia is a bitmore serious and the occasional difficulty sleeping okay but it issometimes used by people who perhaps don't have a medical diagnosis dramaticif you want to be dramatic you can say you've got insomnia okaya person who has insomnia is an insomniac and insomniac and it's omni AKwith AC on the end yes are you an insomniac Sandile it's not what youthink you are I'm not an insomniac I have had difficulty sleeping in the pastbut I'm not an insomniac fortunately because it's quite it's bad for youisn't it yes I think it's quite unpleasant if you are an insomniac itinterferes with your life quite significantly and you probably couldbenefit from treatment okay let's have a summary of that time now for a summary of our vocabularyokay so we had disrupted prevented from continuingwe had uneasy worrying anxious and insomnia medical condition in whichsleeping is difficult if you would like to test yourself on the vocabularythere's a quiz on our website BBC learning english.com stay safe see younext time bye 

Post a Comment

0 Comments